Thursday, January 27, 2011

Starting the Garden

Finally, no rain.  I actually got out and started the garden yesterday.  It felt so good to get outside and do something, anything.  The last 3 years have been soooooooo busy with work.  Just the opposite now, which is not really good either, but I do have time to do other things, which I am getting to do again.  Yay!!

Anyhoo, I started cleaning up the raised bed planters that Rob made a couple of years ago.  I had to dig out some peonies that I had planted there.  Then I used a cool tool my mom picked up last year.  It is a handheld weeder with a round/oval shaped metal piece like a long U that skims in the dirt and cuts off the weeds.  This will come in very handy when weeding this year, I am sure.  So one bed had the peonies in it and lots of weeds, but got it all cleaned up.  The second bed I had had Nikolai flip the dirt over in and then cover with black plastic.  It has been that way for about 2 years now, so not many weeds, just about 10 around the rim of the planter box.  Got it all spread out and then covered both beds with chicken manure compost we have been storing/turning/composting from the chickens.  I will let that sit on their until planting time and then can either mix it in or plant right through it.  We had to repair the end of the bed in the front of the picture, as the wood had come unscrewed, but other than that, they are still in good shape.

There are 8 to 10 beds still needing to be done and I am going to try for another 2 today, as there is supposed to be no rain (won't hold my breath) today.  Only 2 other beds need to be repaired, otherwise the rest are in good shape.

I got all my seeds ordered and have started to receive some.  I am planning on starting some seeds, like the peppers and such that need the warmer weather, inside and then transplanting.  Am going to plant corn this year also, though probably not in a raised bed.  Will need to check out where I want to do that so I can get enough for us and for the chickens/turkeys through next winter.  Am going to try to plant some wheat this fall also.

Until later.  Have a good one!

2 comments:

  1. great posting, nice to see you blogging. We'll watch the progress via the web until we can get there in person. Glad the little tool is working well for you. Let me know when you have more postings. Hugs M

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks awesome - I am having someone take out my old raised beds in the back and we are going to put some new ones in as well in the next month or so. I need to patch up my green house also so I can start putting some items in there when it gets cold. I will send some pictures to you when I get mine done :-) only 6.5 weeks of school left :-) yeah!

    ReplyDelete