Friday, April 1, 2011


Our first turkey egg!!!  Not sure which hen laid it.  Rob said he found it this morning when he went to go feed them.  It was under the feeder.  He moved it to the nesting box we have for them, so hopefully they will see that is where they can lay them and then perhaps one of them will get broody and nest on them and we will have babies!!!!!  The egg is about three times the size of a chicken egg and is speckled.

So I made cranberry cordial last night from Martha Stewart recipes - 2 cups crushed cranberries, 2 cups sugar, and 2 cups vodka.  Let it sit for at least 22 days in a cool place and then strain and drink as an after dinner aperitif.  I'll let you know how it turned out in 22 days or so.  hahahahahaha!

I also made Apple/Cranberry Ketchup last night.  Smells so yummy!!!  The recipe follows.

1-1/2 C                      finely chopped mild onion
4 strips                      orange zest, 1-inch wide, scraped to remove bitter white pith
4 C                            water
4 C                            cranberries, fresh or frozen (thawed)
6                               tart apples, peeled, cored, and quartered
2 C                            cider vinegar
1 C                            packed brown sugar, more if desired
2 tsp                          pickling salt
1 tsp                          mustard powder
1/4 tsp                       ground cloves
1 tsp                          ground ginger
1-1/2 tsp                   ground cinnamon

Bring the onion, orange zest, and water to a boil in a pot.  Cover and simmer for 10 minutes or until the onions are tender and translucent.

Add the cranberries and apples to the onions and bring the mixture to a boil; partially cover and simmer until the fruit is very soft, about 15 minutes.  Empty everything into a bowl to cool slightly.

Working with half the mixture at a time, whirl in a food processor or blender (I used my Vitamix) until very finely pureed; transfer the puree into the rinsed out pot.  Optional - for very smooth texture, press the puree through a fine sieve before returning to the pot.

Add the vinegar, brown sugar, salt, mustard, cloves, ginger, and cinnamon and bring to a boil of medium heat, stirring constantly to prevent the ketchup from scorching.  Cook until thickened to your desired consistency.  Carefully ladle the hot ketchup into hot, sterilized pint jars (I used 1/2-pint jars and got a little over 11, 1/2-pint jars' full), allowing 1/4 inch headspace.  Process in a water bath for 10 minutes for 1/2-pints and 15 minutes for pints.

The ketchup is ready for serving in a few days, but the flavors will continue to mellow for several weeks.

I thought it tasted pretty good right after I was done canning it, but will be interested to see how the flavor changes, if it does, after a couple weeks.


No comments:

Post a Comment