Sunday, February 13, 2011

New Addition to the Shelley Homestead

So we got a wiener pig last night.  He is a Duroc/Landrace cross.  He will be for meat so we are not naming him.  He is Pig.  He slept in Marty's old crate right next to Marty's house outside.  I let him out this morning and had to feed them separately because Marty cannot have regular pig food.  Marty is definitely the dominant one right now, he was putting Pig in his place.  However, about 10 minutes later,  they were side by side wandering the place and rooting for goodstuff.  



Pig did not eat much last night or this morning, as I still think he is a little nervous being in a new place and all and not with his other piglets.  He snorts and grinds his teeth just like Marty, but I have to say is quieter than Marty is.  

Finally, I got my large order of seeds in, though some are still backordered, and today got seed starter/potting soil mix and the plastic containers with the clear lids for starting them in.  Did not get the side of the house done as yesterday was spent driving to Everson up by the Canadian border to get Pig.  Didn't get it done today either, as Liam had a game in Kirkland at noon (which they won 6 to 5 and Liam had an awesome breakaway goal), and then practice in Shoreline from 4 to 6:30, so was gone the whole day.

The rest of the animals are doing fine.  We are still trying to figure out how to house the turkeys so they don't make a mess on the back porch.  

In my previous blog I misnamed the book I was reading.  It is titled Honeybee; Lessons from an Accidental Beekeeper.  It is a great book and I do believe Aylia and I will need to take a class or attend a meeting on beekeeping, as I think we could really use our own bees for pollination and for the honey.  I know there are quite a few bee clubs in the area.

Also, finally got the zipties in multiple colors to use on the chickens and turkeys so we know who is who.  

Later! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment